Saturday, April 13, 2013

Piece in progress

This is a description of the piece in progress.  I probably won't do a separate post for this piece, just add on to this post randomly as I see fit.  This is for the friends and relatives who say "I'm not sure how that comes out of your head."  Well, it's kind of hard to describe, but here you go.


So it started with playing with wave shapes. And then you need to make the decision on whether this is going anywhere.





So then I decided that the river needed a bank and of course, there should be trees. The trees would also need some leaves, so I decided to make some leaf colored yarn, because it's easy to become distracted.



This is spun out of wool in the 2 different colors of green and silk in the lightest green.




Voila!  Leaf colored yarn.





Much of the background was knitted at NAVC during sessions. This is a perfect time to do stockinette because one really doesn't need to look at the work much. Just knit, knit, knit. I was going for a feeling of a bank of a stream and a vanishing background. But it was difficult to get the trees to lay flat on the ripples of the background.





So I let that problem stew for a bit and stared working on leaves for the trees








Then I decided that I didn't think the background was working so this happened:



After an interminable amount of stockinette redo, I ended up with a background that felt right. Sometimes simpler is better.  Now the trees need to be reattached.


No comments:

Post a Comment