Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Piece in progress: Part 3

So, I was going to start knitting up the ghost trees.


Then, I discovered this:



Not quite enough yarn.  Luckily, I spun this yarn out of this:





and I have a lot more of it.


I can make a lot of yarn from this.


So, back to our ball of yarn.  This is a 2 ply yarn.  Which simply means that 2 smaller yarns are twisted together to make a bigger yarn.



This is a 2 ply yarn spun from a long draw.  Long draw is a way of making fluffy yarn, also known as woolen yarn.  As opposed to worsted yarn, which has a smoother surface and shows off the knit stitches better.  My long draw is not as pretty or as even as the long draw in the video.  Of course, I have not carded this wool, just washed it and am spinning it from the lock which will give a different result than using carded wool.

First ply, long draw.



Two ply simply means that we're going to take 2 threads like this and twine them together, like in the picture below.


After about 8 or 10 hours of this, you get yarn!

Finished product
You can see the colors better on the picture below.  This yarn is mostly white with some silvery grey throughout it.  I did nothing special to enhance the colors.  Mostly, I just grabbed a hunk of fiber and spun it out, then randomly plied things together.  You can see the colors better in the picture below.

This yarn will make up most of the ghost trees.  The nice thing about having this whole fleece is that if I need more yarn, I can make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment